Learn to draw free hand
This article is for armature artists, who are struggling with the free hand drawing. Let’s understand how an artist’s mind breaks down the reference picture so that picture can be replicated on the drawing sheet, using the free hand drawing technique. Drawing free hand is fun activity, which gives you immense pleasure and satisfaction.
- ANALYZE: Analyze the reference picture and try to breakdown the subject using following techniques –
- Envelope: Rough outer boundary
- Outer boundary: Outline i.e. silhouette
- Geometrical shapes: Square, rectangle, triangle, circle, oval, heart, star etc.
- Vertical lines: Start / end point and height of vertical lines
- Horizontal lines: Start / end point and width of horizontal lines
- Diagonal lines: Start / end point, angle and length of diagonal lines
- Parallel lines: Parallel vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines
- Relative: Relative length, position, size and angles
- Proportions: Relative proportions
- Negative spaces: Negative spaces are the geometrical shapes, which are formed surrounding or within an object
- Convert corner to curves: To break the corners down and convert the sharp edge into a curve
- ENVELOPE: Draw the rough geometrical envelope on the reference image. Copy the envelope on the drawing paper and ensure that size (i.e. height and width of the envelope) for the object and it’s placement in the drawing paper is correct.
- OUTER BOUNDARY AND LANDMARKS: Breakdown the reference picture into simple geometrical shapes, horizontal, vertical, diagonal and parallel lines on the reference picture and locate the external landmarks.
- OUTLINE / SILHOUETTE: Join the external landmarks and define the outline clearly. Refine the shape by converting corners into curves. Cross check the outline and ensure that drawing has correct negative space, angles, height & width, line length and shapes in relation to other adjutant landmarks. Improvise the outline couple of times.
- INNER LANDMARKS: Using the final external out lines and landmarks, draw simple geometrical shapes, horizontal, vertical, diagonal and parallel lines on the reference picture and locate internal landmarks.
- INNER DRAWING: Join the internal landmarks and complete the internal drawing i.e. which is inside the silhouette. Refine the shape by converting corners into curves. Cross check the internal lines and ensure that drawing has correct negative space, angles, height & width, line length and shapes in relation to other adjutant landmarks. Improvise the internal drawing couple of times.
Select a few simple line artwork from internet. Use above method and give it a try. Most of the armatures are able to draw it reasonably well by adopting the above technique. For sure, it’s going to be pleasant surprise for you and your loved ones.
- What is One-to-One Personalized Teaching?
- Online Visual Art Class
- How can I Select a Right Art Academy?
- What is the Career in Visual Art?
- How to be Successful Freelance Artist or Designer?
- Learn Digital Art using Cutting Edge Technology
- Learn free hand drawing
- How to Draw Portrait like a Pro?
- Learn Visual Art, Let Meditation Happen!
- Free Art Workshop
Know more about one-to-one visual art class at www.shankeronline.com/shop-online/